Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Problem with Subsidies

When you subsidize something, you get more of it.

Someone sent me a letter recently saying, "Our nation's health care crisis is not a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. It is a crisis of culture - a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. A culture that thinks "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me."

If you think government hands creep into your pockets too much already, wait until Obamacare passes.

The staggering additional tax, fee and premium cost burden on workers will further disincentivize business, as well as many able-bodied and educated people who could work. They will choose the path most fiscally advantageous. If working is, they will continue to work. If not working is, they will choose not to work. Watch unemployment go up after Obamacare passes. If staying in business is fiscally advantageous, business will remain open; if not, they will shutter operations. All will cut costs and that means cutting jobs. Watch unemployment go up again. So much for the mythical "jobs created or saved" incantations. All this unemployment, by the way, is funded by your state, not the federal government. So is medicaid. That's one reason Congress claims the health care bill is "fully paid for" - they don't add in the cost to your state to fund their program. This is outrageous. I saw a bumper sticker the other day. It said, "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Personally I'm on the fence if I should continue to bust my butt working or just go on the government dole. Hear me out on this.

I already can get other people to fund my mortgage if I stop paying. So I'll stop paying. If they try to kick me out I will call the press and tell them about the oppressive lending practices that tricked me into a mortgage I couldn't afford. It wasn't my fault! I was tricked by greedy corporations! If other people can just stop paying and stay in their homes, why not me too? Why should I pay?

I can be fired now and receive "forever" unemployment benefits funded by my neighbors who choose to work and by businesses who choose to stay open. As soon as I file my tax report showing I made no income except unemployment, I can receive taxpayer-funded health care. Hey, it's there, why not take advantage of money and services other people are compelled to pay?

If I find the right doctor who tells me my arthritis is debilitating, I can get a handicapped parking tag and claim on my next tax form I am disabled and get a tax credit. Hey, it's the tax code, why not?

My children would be covered also with additional Social Security and medicaid. In fact the more children I have the more money I get so I might choose to adopt several kids. Hey, it's legal, why not?

On the side I would run a cash business, like farming (hey marijuana is a crop), with no electronic or paper trails of sales or income. If I move to Washington state, Maine or several other states, it's perfectly legal. Why not?

I might open up a "charitable foundation for the poor" and then skim most of the donations off for myself. Hey, I'm poor, I'm on welfare! Why not?

The taxpayers, er, government will subsidize my housing. Nice new apartments, too, with wood floors, dishwasher, etc. Why not? It's perfectly legal. Otherwise I would have to pay for it. Horrors!

Next election, I'm going to vote out any incumbent who did not support any of the programs that support me. I only vote for people who pay...er, "represent" me and my economic interest.

....I could go on but I am afraid of scaring you too much. It really, really is that bad out there.....people are not the same as 50 or even 40 years ago. I fear that a great number of Americans of the 'entitlement' mentality don't see a problem with most of what I said up there satirically.

I know people doing these things already. So do you, whether you are aware of it or not.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are reviewed before they are published.